Snoring is a very common problem. In most cases it is completely harmless. If snoring becomes loud and habitual, it may be a sign of a much more serious sleep disorder called obstructive sleep apnea.
Snoring happens when the upper airway becomes partially blocked. The soft tissue starts to vibrate, creating a sound that can come out of the nose, mouth or both.
* Almost everyone snores at some time or another.
* About 40% of adult women and an estimated 40% of adult men snore.
* People are more likely to snore as they get older, past age 70.
* Alcohol, drugs, muscle relaxants and tobacco products can play an important role in snoring.
* Pregnancy can change the snoring pattern in women.
* About 10 – 12 percent of children snore.
* Snoring runs in families.
What Is The Difference Between Snoring And Sleep Apnea?
The cause of both snoring and sleep apnea are the same. The difference is that in sleep apnea, the entire airway becomes blocked. This prevents oxygen from reaching the brain, heart and internal organs.
If you are a snorer and you wake up gasping, snorting and have very low energy levels during the day, you may have sleep apnea. Get this checked out right away. It could be serious.
How To Stop Snoring
* Lose weight
* Reduce or stop drinking alcohol, especially a few hours before you go to bed.
* Give up smoking
* Exercise regularly, especially to strengthen your neck muscles.
* Avoid muscle relaxants
* Avoid drugs
* Try sleeping in a different position
Anti Snore Devices
1. Some Nasal Devices can end snoring.
* For some people nasal strips are one of the best stop snoring remedies. Nasal Strips are small pieces of self adhesive tape that you stick on the outside of your nose before going to sleep.
* Nasal Dilators is a metal nose ring that you place inside your nose before you go to sleep.
2. Snore cures can include oral devices aka a snoring mouthpiece.
3. Chin Strips – these are pieces of tape you can place under your chin to stop your mouth from opening by itself during sleep. This snoring device is also known as a snore guard.
4. Vestibular Shield – This is like a gum shield that fits inside your mouth to block the flow of air through your mouth.
5. Mandibular Advancement Device (MAD) – A snore mouthpiece can be useful if the cause of snoring is because the back of your tongue this device can help by pushing your jaw and tongue forward a little bit. This prevents the airway from getting blocked.
6. Pillows for side sleepers is one of the stop snoring devices that work for many people. This can be one of the easiest snoring remedies that work. You will have to do some research to find the best wedge pillow for snoring. Side sleeper pillows that support the neck can be one of the best snoring aids.
There are four main types of surgery that are used to treat snoring:
* uvulopalatopharyngoplasty (UPPP)
* uvulopalatoplasty (UP)
* palate implants
* radiofrequency ablation (RFA) of the soft palate
If snoring is a real problem for you, the best thing is to go see a doctor or a dentist to get a proper diagnosis. There are specific treatments a sleep dentist can provide to help you sleep better and reduce or eliminate snoring problems.
Our Dentists can give you a consultation and recommend a great affordable solution to help you manage your apnea snoring so you can finally get a good night sleep.