Practicing good dental hygiene is so critical to not just your oral health, but your overall health and well-being. Taking care of your teeth and gums and following and maintaining a daily oral health care regime should be a life-long priority.
There are many benefits of following a healthy dental routine, such as:
- Healthy gums and teeth
- Fresh breath
- Confident, brighter smile
- Reduced risk of gum disease (gingivitis)
- Reduced risk of oral cancer
A healthy mouth will have pink gums and teeth will be free of debris, food particles and gum disease.
Not following and maintaining a strong daily health care routine could cause serious damage to your teeth and a wide variety of health problems. Common side effects can include:
- Inflamed gums or bleeding of the gums when brushing or flossing
- Bad breath
- Cracks or Chips
- Tooth decay and tooth lose
For optimal results in your oral health, brush your teeth thoroughly 2-3 times per day and floss after every meal. For more information on proper brushing and flossing techniques, check out our Preventive Care article which contains great tips for adults and children.
Check in with your Solar Dental Hygienist and Dentist every 3-6 months for your cleaning and ask for your complimentary oral cancer screening.
Remember, your mouth is the gateway to your body!
Do you have dental anxiety, or has it been a long time since your last visit? Not to worry, Solar Dental is a judgement free zone where you can feel at ease and comfortable discussing your oral health concerns.
Here is what you can expect at your cleaning appointment at Solar Dental:
- Your Dental Hygienist will start by scanning your mouth for any issues, now is the time to mention any concerns or problems you may have. Common concerns could include pains or tooth aches, discoloration, tooth sensitivity or tooth grinding.
- A complimentary oral cancer screening will be given by your Hygienist. The exam is only a few minutes long and is painless.
- You will be asked if we can take any necessary x-rays to ensure we don’t miss any cavities developing between the teeth that we cannot see with the naked eye.
- Your Hygienist will then clean your teeth and under the gum line which removes plaque and calculus. This procedure is also known as “scaling”.
- Your Hygienist will then explain and inform you if there are any areas you should pay closer attention to while you maintain your oral health care routine at home.
- Your appointment will end with a floss and polish of your teeth, and we will offer you a fluoride rinse, which assists in preventing tooth decay.
- At the end of your cleaning appointment your Dentist will come in to do an exam – they will check for cavities and discuss any further treatment you may need, or address any concerns or questions you may have.
Complimentary Dental Hygiene Kit
We will also provide you with a new toothbrush and floss pack on each of your visits – it is recommended to replace your toothbrush every 3-4 months as the bristles wear down and become ineffective in removing plaque.
Remember – it is never too late to improve and maintain your oral health and at Solar Dental we will do everything we can to get you on the right track.
Please feel free to call us to book an appointment at one of our Dentists located in Cambridge, ON, London, ON or Kitchener, ON.